Re: Range Check error?

To: The MacLeods <lmacleod@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Range Check error?
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 20:23:41 -0400
At 07:36 PM 6/6/2004, The MacLeods wrote:
>I get this Range-Check-Error when I try to view any of my runs I recorded
>today.  Has anyone ever had that before, and is there a way to fix the
>data file to make it usable?
>
>FYI, I use a Palm m105 that's worked in the past to record
>runs.  Batteries were fresh in both the power supply and the palm.  And I
>was recording runs in an F125 shifter on a bumpy site.  But I had the
>usual provisions in place (towels, foam, pouch, etc...).
>
>Any help is appreciated.
>

>-Larry MacLeod

Larry,

I had a range check error problem a couple of years ago and sent the
following info to Byron but I cannot find his response. I don't know if I
ever had the problem again due to minimal autocrossing since then.

"when trying to trim the start of a recent run I got a "range check error"
at the beginning of the launch accel. Then a little "calculating" box came
up and stayed until "x'd" out. The map stayed screwed up until closing the
run and trying again but keeping the "trim delete" from including the
offending point."

And in a follow-up message I added:

"I get the range check error by trying to cut the start of the run. If I
cut the "flat" part of the initial part of the run, everything is fine.
However, if I include any accel, I get the range check error. Maybe it is
simply trying to tell me I shouldn't cut that piece of data."

Note that the initial start acceleration "hit" with a formula ford on
slicks and a racing clutch can be very abrupt. I wonder if by cutting the
first bit of acceleration data an algorithm decided some data was
"unbelievable" (i.e. outside Byron's assumed limits)?

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen FF