Re: End speed too slow

To: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>, geez@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: End speed too slow
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 20:14:25 -0400
At 01:28 PM 6/8/00 -0400, Mark Sirota wrote:
>On the eight runs that Bob and I took last Sunday, the finish speed
>(after trimming off the end) was less than 10 mph on all of them, even
>though the actual speed was more like 50 mph.
>
>I had to advance the "end speed" slider all the way to 1g (as far as
>it'll go) in order to get anything close to the correct speed.

Mark,

I think that "all the way" is actually 0.1 g, not 1.0 g (zeros added for
clarity).

>What would cause this sort of phenomenon?  I've never had it happen
>before.
>
>The course was very short (21-22 seconds) and quite slippery,
>particularly in the last turn before the finish.  Might that be part
>of it?  If so, why?

First of all, I "assume" that you didn't change anything since the previous
events in the g-cube setup.

I've reread lots of Byron's posts and if I understand correctly, end speed
that is too high indicates lots of oversteer (he mentioned CP in one
explanation). Therefore, it would seem that you had the opposite which
would be more understeer than oversteer. This would seem reasonable on a
slippery course if you were disciplined with the rear of the car while
accelerating.

>One thing I have observed at other events -- on Bob's runs, I usually
>have to increase the end speed.  On my runs, I usually have to decrease
>it.  (It might be the other way around; I can't remember at the
>moment.)  So there's clearly a driving technique difference that's
>causing this, unless it's just blind luck or coincidence.  Any thoughts?

I went back through a bunch of my runs. The great majority require about
0.04 increase in g's to increase the end speed. This is interesting in that
I rarely, if ever, have noticeable understeer and almost always have some
wheelspin and a little "tail out" action.

Byron?

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford