Re: What's for Launch??

To: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>, geez@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What's for Launch??
From: bob1 <bob1@sns-access.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 08:48:55 -0700

Byron Short wrote:

> bob1 wrote:
> > Most older cars crunch gears if you shift fast after hitting redline.  (At
> > least mine do).  So I've developed a habit of shifting slow at redline.
> > I think the Geez! 0-35 or 0-40 time is telling me to shift *fast* at
>4500~5000
> > is better.
>
> I certainly remember that from my 914 days.  30 year old Porsche
> trannies are not happy with hard shifting.  Of course, with the 914 we
> had a nice vague shifter feel to go with it...so even when you ignored
> the cruch and shifted quickly, there was no telling what gear you were
> really gonna get...
I think I already have that stuff, the problem is mostly habit of
years of slow shifting...)
I had a couple of 1-2 shifts that were 1.3 s of 0 G, and one with 0.9.  And the
faster one was without crunch, so I know there's 0.4 there alone, if I can do
it just that much faster.  The 911 does compensate the slow shift with good
accel
when the clutch is not in  :)

Robert