fot

Re: Leaky pushrod tubes

To: AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Leaky pushrod tubes
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 15:02:24 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-08-22 10:36:06 EDT,Joe sez

>Triumph Friends...
>
>This doesnt seem to work for everyone, but I take a Craftsman socket, I
>think it is a 1/2" drive that necks down into a 3/8" or 1/2" nut size.
>The radius makes a nice contact with the tube at the opening. I tap this
>lightly for an extended period of time, swaging the tube tight against
>the casting. This can be done on the tops of the tubes with head in
>place or both sides when the head is off.
>
>No more leaky tubes on this TR4 race engine  :-)

Joe-
Boy, am I glad you mentioned this method first...

I have used exactly the same method (socket and all) with great luck so far.
I was gonna email this solution, but thought I was probably the only "hammer"
mechanic on the list and didn't want to get the award for being far too
"agricultural" in my approach. <g>  My only additional comment is that if you
do this on the bottom of the head after it has been surfaced, run a small
file around the outer edge of the tube as it gets kind of "smeared" over when
the grinder goes over it and leaves a little "tail" on the outer edge
sometimes.

Remember... a little oil leak is OK. You wouldn't want that block to rust !
             Nick in Nor Cal