Re: [Roadsters] Volvo Brake Conversion

To: Datsun Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Volvo Brake Conversion
From: Pete Peters <ppeters914@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 19:32:22 +0000 (UTC)
Thread-index: wSNCSp8yAeWFXRTIA/VZfGTHj60tZg== s=q20140121; t=1414092746; bh=2Ez7pcQzAmq0JLVzmXcZLgzgQLVRH79yHz5m/bwaR5w=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=LVkEB7dKOKWDMY35PYMBqtcCnFH9cRF90MQ/kufFcstLCOZOphy3NNhGAbzCHvWC9 eSBdxr0xwkU5KKNwAfJXCXIdjbWq6jiPeIQlogBfswBp7qfluhkJHTANfq3KwfM2sh hUu9dH+VnzLgIbQTD0yrbBpL0w8HlFP268G9H6fF4RQoJlySeKTsK8yrXjq7Ljs8Wi IPG3k0PWiRNLGDAgh2Z3F1NMr8pUtdj38if9Qp9peY24tsuGsCw7koQPATt7/7Xrg+ FY3YZ5yEewtC+QW8tN+y8dyZ0KrzVJFormUzu5xBlQgCQlVaMkC4PdB3UJLKyTZrhc UfWMAmL2VdhGg==
Ken,

I am guessing you're referring to the article in the 311s.org Tech Wiki:

http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.php?n=TechSection.VolvoCalipers

If yes, there are pages and pages in the 311s forums discussing this
conversion, both the original and the newer one that uses an Altima vented
rotor. You might want to look at those if you haven't already. Some highlights:

- Volvo 240 series was produced 1973-1993. Did not arrive in US market until
1975.

- Volvo used both Girling and Ate calipers. All the posts say to use only
Girling. I don't know why. Ate works great on my Porsche 914. <g>

- Rotors were both solid and vented. You want the early calipers (Wiki mentions
1975) if you're using solid rotors, later calipers (1985-1993) for vented
rotors.

- spyder bought later model Raybestos calipers from RockAuto.

FWIW, I considered doing this conversion when I first got my '66 in 2004 and
discovered.....NO BRAKES!!!! Even bought one of the last junction block sets
produced by Breck Meyer. Did some more research. The cost difference was
minimal (about $50 at the time) plus I was unable to find a single person who
said the Volvo brakes worked any better than the stock brakes (this was before
the Altima Ventor Rotor Conversion was created). I then got a great deal on
slightly used stock brakes, so never bothered.

Hope this helps.

Pete