Re: [Roadsters] Fwd: Datsun roadster brakes

To: BARTERDUDE@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Fwd: Datsun roadster brakes
From: Stan Wilkins <ragtopman1601@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 15:46:53 -0700
Cc: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
I have a '66 Thunderbird convertible; front discs, rear drums.  This is
a car that weighs in the neighborhood of 4400 pounds.  Single chamber MC
and the car stops fine.  The issue comes if/when a leak happens, a hose
blows, a line lets loose or any other problem that could happen.  Single
chamber cylinder gives zero back up.   Had a '64 'Bird many years ago.
On the way home from work one afternoon a wheel cylinder went away.  I
was in traffic and fortunately not going very fast.  I had presence of
mind to hit the emergency brake and didn't hit anyone.  The e-brake is
vacuum operated so it was relatively easy to drive the short distance
home.  Since then I've always made sure brake systems are up to snuff
with the best money can buy.  But that being said, because the car sits
for much of the time and things that don't get used deteriorate, I plan
on changing the single chamber over to a dual chamber from a '67 before
too long.  I'm sure the single chamber MC in the roadster will stop the
car with no issues.  Until that is, something bad happens to the brake
system and the driver isn't aware until too late.

Stan, not preachin' just sayin'