Re: [Roadsters] Info: Replace gasket between head and engine block. What

To: datsun-roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Info: Replace gasket between head and engine block. What, how, major? Not a job for old fart?
From: Joe Russo <jrusso07@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 08:10:43 -0500
Good advice already in this tread. Depending on the compression test results
you may want to get a valve job and check head for warpage. And, since you are
so close, suggest you pull the timing cover and inspect the timing components
and change the timing chains....

Regarding upper chain for head removal on the U20, just remove the cam drive
gear from the camshaft (2 bolts) and use the Phillips screw in the gear to
mount the gear on the upper chain guide bracket ...the eyelet in the "evil L".
(it is there for a reason). Before you do, be sure to set engine to TDC and
maintain the relationship of the cam gear to the chain as you mount to the
evil L.

One thing I enjoy about working on my roadster versus my "commuter" car is I
can take my time. Work at a comfortable pace and take breaks when you feel
frustration.