Re: [Roadsters] OT(non Roadster) tire question

To: Tim <tputland@charter.net>, "datsun-roadsters: autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] OT(non Roadster) tire question
From: Dewey Hahlbohm <hahlbohmd@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 13:16:58 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Hi Tim & all, regarding single axle snow tires, this approach is not
recommended in Montana.  Rear wheel drive vehicles with snow tires only in the
rear is discouraged but not prohibited, 4 snow tires are recommended.

With front wheel drive vehicles the rules are more strict.  Front wheel drive
vehicles require snow tires or studded snow tires on all 4 wheels.  MOST, if
not all, tire stores require that you put snow tires on all 4, and will not
mount 2 on the drive axle.  ALL tire stores require studded snows on all 4
wheels.  They will not mount 2 studded snows on a front wheel drive car.

I do not know if this is law, I do not think it is.  I believe it is policy of
the tire dealers.

This policy/requirement stems from a law suit about 20-25 years ago.  A front
wheel drive car with studs on the front only spun around with serious
injuries/death, attributed to not having studs on all 4 wheels.  Subsequent to
that lawsuit, you cannot get studded snow tires mounted on just the drive axle
in Montana.  I believe this applies in most states in the Northwest, if not all
states.

So, from a safety perspective, single axle snow tires are not recommended.
However, what you do with the tires after they leave the store is of course
your choice.

Good luck, and have fun in the snow, I know we will this winter.  Dewey