Re: [Roadsters] More on engine install (and what weight tranny oil?)

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] More on engine install (and what weight tranny oil?)
From: The Ken Pearce <ken__pearce@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 01:17:44 -0700
I got the engine in tonight at midnight or so...  Solo, with the help of a
leveler and a rented cherry picker hoist.  Best $25 I've spent recently.

Things I learned:

 - leave the alternator off, it gives you easier access to the motor mount
front bolt. (not a big deal...)
 - make sure you unbolt the motor mounts from the frame, as opposed to from
the engine.  for whatever reason, I had done one correctly and the driver's
side incorrectly.  So I tried gettting the mount to slip over the two bolts,
wrong... bad answer...  had to raise the engine up about 5 inches, unbolt the
mount from the frame, bolt it to the engine, and then all was much easier.
Mounts should look like   \      /   as you lower the engine back down and
getting the engine in place is much easier.
 - estimate how much time it will take, then multiply by 4.  :)

I loved assembling everything on the engine stand.  Much easier to do the
manifolds and starter than when in the car...

Tomorrow I hook everything back up and see if she'll start.

What weight oil is recommended for the 5-speed transmission?  30W?   80W?

Thanks!

Ken
Bellingham, WA
68-2000