[Roadsters] Timing and idle

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] Timing and idle
From: Charles Kyle <chuckkyle@me.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 22:15:32 -0400
Good Afternoon,

I am trying to set my idle and timing on a 1600.  Does anyone know of a good
instructions manual / website... oh with pictures :-)

This is what I have determined:

I have a 68 SPL311,

1.)  But based on the engine number it is a late 67 or 67.5 engine.  Still has
the paper cartridge oil canister.
2.)  All emission items have been removed (or where never there)
3.)  After following the procedures on
http://www.datsunroadster.com/PIC_PAGES/NEW_PARTS_PIC_PAGES/221-10_24.htm my
dizzy allows 7.5 degrees centrifugal advance.

Here is the problem that I ran into while trying to set the timing.

1.)  Connected the digital timing light, first thing that I immediately noticed
is that the car idle is set at around 1100 rpm.  Found out today that the
Service Screw is NOT how to adjust the idle.  So I did some research and found
a few web sites on how to set the item on the SU.  But got confused with the
difference between fast idle screw and the idle nut.  Decided not to mess with
this.  BUT I am not sure if I can properly time the vehicle if it is at 1100
rpm instead of the recommended 700.

2.)  As recommended I marked the cam pulley.  Mine has 5 "valleys" so I am
assuming that the large one is TDC and then 5-10-15-20 degrees.

3.)  With the timing light set (and connected to the first plug #1) I looked at
the pulley.  I could see the five dots but they were not stable, meaning they
were spinning,  I could slightly adjust the distributor and the biggest change
would be the RPMs.  I actually was able to get them down to 700.  Each time
that I would turn the distributor it would slow the dots or rotate their
direction (clockwise to counter clock wise but never stable enough to even keep
all five dots at the timing mark).  So the idea of being able to get it to move
just five degrees not even possible.

So at this point I think I have exceeded my capability and am going to have to
find a mechanic, unless some on has any recommendation.  I greatly appreciate
all the assistance.

Chuck

--

V/r