[Roadsters] Upper ball joint question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] Upper ball joint question
From: M M <muncie4spd2002@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 09:31:57 -0700 (PDT)
Hi All,
I'm in the process of rebuilding my front suspension and noticed what appears
to be a seal of some sort on the top of the ball joint.  Specifically, a thin
piece of rubber was sticking out of the thread where the center section screws
into the body of the ball joint.  These are ball joints I bought from a vendor
about 20 yrs ago that otherwise are perfectly good.  Is anyone familiar with
this?  Are they there to prevent grease from escaping?  If so, can I use RTV
gasket maker or do I need to buy new ball joints?

Thanks.

Mike Gleeson
68 2L
Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net