[Roadsters] Return fuel line (was: when I got stranded by the

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] Return fuel line (was: when I got stranded by the
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 08:55:54 -0700
It was suggested:
> how about just lose the return line?  Remove the fuel return valve,
> change the inlet fitting to the rear carb and cap off the line back to
> the tank.

Not trying to start any flames, and with all due respect, but the return
line is not some smog gizmo but is actually something that you want
in place. Nissan added it to reduce the possibility of vapor locking on
hot days. It allows the fuel to 'keep moving', reducing the risk of the
fuel vaporizing inside the fuel line before the carb and starving the
engine.

One point of note is that the return valve (the gadget mounted on the
rear carb) limits how much fuel goes back to the tank, and on very
rare occasions has been reported to stick open and allow too much
fuel to bypass the carbs.

On the 1970 ONLY model, there are additional separator tanks
and vent plumbing and air flow solenoids and such that are part
of the vapor recovery efforts. Overall its presence doesn't affect
performance and may marginally make the cars cleaner, so IMHO
there's nothing to gain by ripping it out...

-- John

p.s. I didn't think a '66 model year vehicle had any smog equipment,
save for the PCV system (which again IMHO is a good thing to have)