Re: [Roadsters] Chrome processing--was Bumper

To: tputland@charter.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Chrome processing--was Bumper
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 20:40:55 EDT
In a message dated 3/28/2008 8:12:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tputland@charter.net writes:

>From  Keith:              "Your parts will end up  paper thin. "

So.....

I am a little unclear on this point. I  under stand that the grinding will
thin the metal. But doesn't the chroming  process add (layers of metals) to the
part, making it thicker (and  heavier)?

Is the thinning from grinding still an issue even with new  metal being
added?

(read the last line on my signature if you are un  clear as to my mental
abilities!) ;-)

Tim
Belleville, WI.
'70 SPL  AND SRL
Still clueless but always learning

They are removing steel, a structural material, and adding copper, nickel
and chrome, a cosmetic coating. The amount of steel removed to get to the
bottom
 of the pits is a lot thicker than the amount of copper, nickel, and chrome
you  want to pay for. Good question though, in some applications, like
hydraulic  cylinder rods, they will build them up with chrome and grind them
down to
size.

keith

Home.