Re: [Roadsters] A few questions

To: hahlbohmd@earthlink.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] A few questions
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:23:16 EDT
In a message dated 3/11/2008 11:58:33 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
hahlbohmd@earthlink.net writes:

Keith, I  am interested to see hinge straightening instructions, in addition
to buying  at least 4 hinge pins, maybe more.  I do not want to be a hog, but
if you  have more than 4 available, I know my other roadster could probably
stand an  upgrade as well.  Thanks, Dewey

Hello Dewey and all the ships at sea,

    Figured I do this once and share. Hopefully the  picture links don't get
stripped out.

First remove the hinge. Take two mounting bolts and two flat washers.

_http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/h1.jpg_
(http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/h1.jpg)

Insert the bolts and washers into a couple of the holes.

_http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/h2.jpg_
(http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/h2.jpg)

Close the hinge. The two plates should be parallel. If not your hinge is
bent.

_http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/h3.jpg_
(http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/h3.jpg)

To straighten them I put the bolts and washers in the short side holes
farthest from the hinge pin. Then squeeze in a vice. Don't squeeze tight. Take
an
oxy/acetylene torch and heat where the hinge loops are welded to the plate.
You should be able to see the side that is bent. Once it gets red slowly
squeeze  till the plates come into parallel. If you don't heat the hinge where
you
want  it to bend it will bend where you don't want it to bend.

_http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/h4.jpg_
(http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/h4.jpg)

Let it air cool. If you pitch it in water when it's red hot it will get
brittle. Once it's straight reinstall using a bolts and lock washers only. If
you
put a flat washer in there also the hinge will bend the first time you close
the door.

When you get the hinge out it will be obvious if the pin is worn out. To
remove the pin soak it in penetrating oil then press it out. One end is splined

and you need to press the other end. If you try to hammer it out the end tends
 to mushroom. This makes it very hard to get out and in the process you
stretch  out the loops and the new pin will be loose. Then we get to talk about
torch and  hammer shrinking followed by reaming.

I had some pins made a while back and still have several sets. Having stuff
like this made in relatively small lots is kind of pricey. The pins are $40
for  a set of 4. That price includes postage.

keith