Re: [Roadsters] TIming chain replacement

To: <68roadster@charter.net>, "Datsun Roadster Group"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] TIming chain replacement
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@jorsm.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 22:48:28 -0600
Dennis,

As originaly fitted, the front of the block on U20s has two short locator
pins which the timing cover fits over.  Also, as originally fitted out, the
top of the timing cover has two studs which are used to secure the top of
the cover to the head.  I've seen those studs replaced with 6mm hex bolts,
but I consider this to be a bad idea, as it is easy to strip the threads in
the timing cover.

I replaced the four hex bolts in the bottom of my timing cover with studs,
as well.  If the U20 you are speaking of has studs, you'll need to pull them
before you pull the timing cover.  The chances of damaging the front part of
the head gasket and/or the oil pan gasket during front cover removal are
high, in my view.  But, that can be rectified with Permatex sealant with
copper.

When I replaced my chains, I followed the procedure in the shop manual, and
pulled the head.  (And, learned a little lesson about the 6mm bolt which
holds the upper chain guide to the head, and what happens you one fails to
recognize its presence, and gets impatient when the head doesn't come
off...)

Gary Ault