Re: [Roadsters] As the Distributor Turns

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] As the Distributor Turns
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 18:03:16 -0700
It was written:
> I'm a bonehead and when I installed my distributor I
> installed in 180 degrees off.

To which Stan replied:
> Remove the distributor and then remove the drive dog pin at the lower
> end of the dizzy shaft by moving the springlike retainer wire from
> above the pin.  Rotate the drive dog 180 degrees and replace the pin
> and the wire.  Replace the distributor and relocate the wires where
> you wanted them in the first place.

Which is quick, easy, and probably safest :-)

If you're really retentive about everything being 'just right', and
you _know_ that the distributor is 'correct' (hint: someone before
you may have put it together 180 deg off), you can also pull the
distributor, carefully pull the drive gear out of the block, rotate it
180 deg and drop it back in. I'd go with Stan's solution as I always
have a heck of a time getting the gear to drop back in (it has to mesh
with the oil pump tang). But it's way more sensible than tearing down
the engine to rotate the jackshaft... which may not work, as I think
you'll throw off the timing marks and probably end up bending a
valve :-)

If it ain't broke....
Leave it alone, or do what Stan suggests...

-- John