Re: [Roadsters] Need 5 speed drive shaft.

To: "Daniel Solomon" <d-solomon@comcast.net>, "peter harrison"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Need 5 speed drive shaft.
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@jorsm.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 14:59:11 -0500
Daniel/Peter,

The 4-speed driveshaft has a sliding yoke on the trans end.  It has a collar
which fits over the outside of the trans rear housing (without making
contact), and a shaft which fits into the rear housing of the trans through
an oil seal and onto the splined main shaft.  There is a U-joint immediately
following the yoke, and a second joint at the differential.

The Nissan parts manual shows a bolted yoke at both ends of the 5-speed
driveshaft, and two U-joints, which is what I sort of recall from the 2L I
had 20-odd years ago.  It also shows some sort of sliding mechanism behind
the front U-joint.  The parts book refers to this as a "stub yoke".  But,
the Nissan manual does not show how the bolted yoke connects to the trans
main shaft, so I can't really say for sure.

Gary