Flushing engines/radiators in the 21st Century

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>, "'bluebirds list'"
Subject: Flushing engines/radiators in the 21st Century
From: "Pete Peters" <ppeters914@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:52:03 -0800
Mister Sunshine is giving us a break, so I got a chance to fire up the 411.
Well, first I put the battery on charge cuz it was flat dead. Add "find slow
electrical leak" to the work list.

Grab the nice Optima Redtop out of the roadster, hook it up, do the
two-handed starting drill (i.e. reach thru the window to turn the key w/ the
right hand whilst the left hand manipulates the throttle and butterfly), and
vrooom! Vrooom! Sweet!

Start to back down the driveway...and discover the emergency brake ain't.
Put "fix emergency brakes" on list.

Go for a short drive around the
block...sputtering...kicking...and...STEAM??!!! Uh, oh...back to the ranch.
Put "flush/bleed brakes" on the list.

Once it cools down, I pull the water temp sensor -- and out comes rusty (I
mean -REALLY- rusty) water.

Now, back in da good 'ol daze, one would just hook up the nifty yellow
Prestone fittings, attach your garden hose, start the engine and pump rust,
antifreeze, etc all over the driveway and down into the sewer until it was
clear water. I'm thinking that's not the best plan anymore.

So, how do y'alls flush an engine (besides pull the chain or push the handle
yuk-yuk-yuk)?

Thanks.

                    `  ___  '
Pete               -  (O o)  -