Headlight chrome trim

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Headlight chrome trim
From: Stan <stathy@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 20:13:47 -0800
I'm finally putting the chrome back on the car and of course am running into
some issues.  While doing the body work on the front of the car I used
two straight headlight trims as a way of "shaping" the front fender.
It wasn't perfect but I was happy as this car isn't going to be entering
any competitions.

I sent all my chrome trim out for plating and started putting it back on
today.
For some reason the chrome trim around the headlights aren't fitting as good
(perhaps heat distortion from chroming process?) so I had to set in place one
part of the trim and secure it, then "force/bend" the other side (the thin
part) up against
the body and pilot drill and screw it in place.  Of course during this process
chipped some of the brand new paint and will now have to dab on some paint...
eeesh...

So, now I have one trim ring that isn't perfectly flush on the body.  There
are
some areas that are sitting 1/8" - 3/16" away from the body.

My question to everyone out there is, how perfect does your headlight trim
sit?

I would think that this is probably one of the toughest areas to get perfect.

Cheers

Stan in Coquitlam, BC
1969- 1600