Fuel line issue - 70 2000 Solex

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel line issue - 70 2000 Solex
From: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:28:23 -0400
Hi all,

I know I just replied about how good 311's.org is for this kinda thing, but.

Loreli seems to put a LOT of gas on the ground (and starter, and headers,
and intake manifold) at certain times and I hope someone who knows Solexes
can help. My Clymers manual is completely worthless.

The issue:

Usually after running her somewhat hard, or after running thru the gears to
6000 RPM, or on a warm day and kinda parked nose downhill, or on a very full
tank, I smell gas. A lot of gas.  I always figure I've gotta figure that out
soon. Today I parked her nose down on a slight slope and walked away. I went
back to the car a few minutes to cover her, and there was that smell. I
popped the hood, and out of a metal pipe a few inches to the "drivers" side
of the hood latch was a good trickle of gas dripping on my starter. I
(reluctantly) started her up and turned her around so she was nose up on the
slope. That stopped it from emptying my tank onto an electrical motor, which
I thought was wise.

The questions:

Since I assume this is the return to the gas tank, what's supposed to hook
up to it? I did notice 4 stubby hoses (about an inch long) coming out of the
carbs underneath. (one on each side of each carb at about a 30 degree angle
from perpendicular to the venturis). Each of these has a screw plugging it.
Should these be routed to that little pipe? If so, what's the routing? In
line from front to back? Front carb hoses to one, back carb hoses to one,
then both to one? What's the size of the fuel line (I.D) (and "t" or "y"
connecters) I should use? Is proper routing to go under the carbs then back
up to the pipe behind the rear carb? Any certain material I should stay away
from for those connectors (it is kinda near the header afterall)?

Matt Smith

And Loreli (She's a 70' Silver Solex HOPING to go to Nashville this weekend)