Head gasket failure: sometimes it is hard to tell

To: banshee16@starband.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Head gasket failure: sometimes it is hard to tell
From: "Jim InVirginia" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 10:46:42 -0400
I agree 100%.   I had a overheating problem several years ago... car would
overheat after running for some time, but there were no bubbles in the
cooling system, no pressure build up I could tell, and no coolant in the
oil.  I changed the thermostat, the hoses (thinking the suction hose was
collapsing inside).......even the water pump.

Come to find out, there was a tiny leak between nr 2 and nr 3....just enough
combustion gas was gettting into the cooling system to air-bind the water
pump, at which point the car would overheat, even though the radiator was
cool.  (leading me to think of the thermostat and hose problem, so some
wierd off the wall "the impellor fell off the water pump" problem).

I have a stroker 1600 with high compression....I dont think the guy who
built the engine ever re-torqed it after the first few hundred miles....and
of course, I never knew this was or was not done.

Anyway...new gasket, and very careful assembly following Paul Korts
instructions from the race team he crews on, and I have had no problems
since.....and while the head was off, I was able to verify that yes, I had
really bought a stroker engine, with big valves and porting...so it was an
interesting
and informative repair.

Best Regards,
Jim