Carb insulators

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carb insulators
From: "Paul" <heyace@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:59:11 -0800
On the subject of Mikuni carbs...  I was looking under the hood  of my now 10K
ago frame off resto(man it was dirty!) and I noticed the insulators to my
solex's are starting to show signs of wear(cracking).  As I was looking at
them I began to wonder why these have to be made of hard rubber.  This may be
a stupid Question but...  Has anyone ever done anything different?  Why
couldn't you make them out of say, billet alum?
It seems like all they are, are adapters anyway?

Paul(heyace)
69 silver solex
67.5 # 428  (picking up chrome from the chomer today as the frame off gets
closer!   :)