Re: Mikuni Super BN 44 - Another option? well, there's always

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mikuni Super BN 44 - Another option? well, there's always
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:34:31 -0600
First, you can do practically anything and/or make anything work, given
enough money and the required skills. Back in the day late Corvair Corsas
came with four single barrel carbs or turboed. The four singles were tough
to tune, at best, and it wasn't long before people were swapping in a single
4 barrel on a EMPI (I think) manifold.

As far as putting four singles on a roadster, it would probably be simplest
to fabricate adapter plates to mount them on a dual two barrel manifold,
provided you don't run into clearance problems. Once past the mounting and
clearance issues, you still need to deal with fuel line plumbing and
throttle linkage. Remember that you'll need to allow for carb
synchronization, too. As far as using Webers is concerned, IIRC, the
throttle shaft rotation is opposite that found on Mikunis so you'll have to
deal with that.

IMO, it all comes down to what you want to accomplish, and at what cost. A
bolt-on solution is usually gonna be easiest, and don't forget least
expensive, to make work. Properly working SUs on a U-20 in good condition
are really pretty hard to beat on a street car.

Can you improve on them? Sure..., but it's going to cost, and probably
considerably more than you'd think at first glance, not to mention the time
it'll take. Trust me. Been there, done that, more than once.

FWIW,
Ron