RE: After Market Steering Wheels

To: "'roadster68'" <roadster68@shaw.ca>,
Subject: RE: After Market Steering Wheels
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:55:31 +0930
Hi Larry,
Once the nut behind the wheel is removed, (the hex one not the one in the
drivers seat!),
the wheel is just gripping a tapered spline on the end of the shaft.
The trick is to use a puller to you know, pull it off.
One side is attached to the wheel, the other is a screw which presses on the
centre dimple of the shaft.
Ususally, very little effort is required to break the wheel free.
Try to avoid using any sort of hammering action.
If it is reluctant to slip off, dose with a penetrating fluid, do up the
screw as tight as possible and leave over night.

Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310
1971 P510
1972 PL510
1973 HS30
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290669159
Adelaide
South Australia.

"I can't believe the nut I took off is the only thing keeping the wheel on.
Help!!!  Larry."