Re: Pilot bearing removal

To: "chris bond" <cbond@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Pilot bearing removal
From: Leigh Brooks <shifty@shiftco.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:02:27 -0700
I chiseled it out as directed in an old service manual. I scraped up
part of the crank and had to smooth it down. I won't do it that way
again.

Gordon told me about a trick he had heard of, but neither of us have
tried it. Fill the end of the crank with grease and reinsert the input
shaft. Give the tranny a few whacks with a rubber mallet. The grease is
supposed to force the pilot bushing out. Try it at your own risk!

The other method is to get some sort of puller that can get its fingers
behind the bearing.

Anyone else have any input?

Leigh Brooks