Red HOt and Out it comes! but...could SNAP later.... frozen

To: Keith0alan@aol.com, mtyler@hctc.net, datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Red HOt and Out it comes! but...could SNAP later.... frozen
From: "Jim InVirginia" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:52:12 -0500
For all:
Do not worry, the roadster owner in question plans on replacing all the
fasteners that were under duress, from the heat wrench, or even from the
impact gun at the service station.....replacements will be hardnened also,
not grade two home depot stuff.

BTW, to get into the arcane termanology, quench hardening is what happens
when you throw water on a bolt when its red hot.  Work hardening is what
happens when you forge a piece of steel, and results in a product that has
the desirable quality of toughness as well as hardness.

I could get into deeper explanations, but would have to get out my welding
handbook, and my material handbook from my nuclear submarine days....bottom
line, you guys are certainly right!

Heating red hot and then knocking the fastener loose with a few good taps as
soon as it gets below red hot has worked real well for me, no need to
quench.  I still replace these fasteners though, if in a critcal use area.

Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake, Virginia
67 pushrod 2L 5spd
72 Datsun 510 Sportwagon
85 VW Cabriolet
88 Jeep Commanche Pickup
94 Dodge Grand Caravan
02 PT Cruiser

58 Aerocraft 14ft skiff W/01 25HP Johnson