Re: Need a quote for a new Ring gear for 1968 Datsun 2000

To: "James Forte" <james@travelinman.com>, <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Need a quote for a new Ring gear for 1968 Datsun 2000
From: "Bill Cole" <wdc52458@proaxis.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:41:41 -0700
James. I don't know the condition of the teeth or this is from fact but I have
been told that you can heat up the fly wheel in a oven and take off the ring
off and rotate it 45 degrees then put the flywheel back on the crank in the
same place as removed from, for balancing reasons. By doing this your starter
will engage on not so worn teeth. Since the engine stops on compression there
should be 4 spots 90 degrees apart that are worn more than the rest of the
ring.
  I've never tried removing a ring, so hard to say if this may work. If some
one else has tried this solution could you please follow up on this reply, I'm
curious to know.. Bill Cole.