Not another Brake Question NOT

To: "'Datsun Roadster Forum'" <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Not another Brake Question NOT
From: "James Richards" <jmr407@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 19:00:37 -0400
Dear Roaster Guru's

I am a relative newbie to the Datsun Roadster and do not have any previous
experience with this type auto.  I have in the past rebuilt from the ground
up a TR4, TR4A, and two MGBGT's.  The 69/1600 roadster I have acquired runs
strong and is a lot of fun to drive. A little underpowered compared to the
British versions.

I am not sure if I have the brakes working as well as they should. My
concern is the brake pedal is very close to the floorboard before engagement
occurs.  If I jump on the brakes the cars stops but I am into the
floorboards.  I have not had any luck raising the pedal by bleeding the
brakes.  So far this is what I have done
.       Replaced both front calipers with new
.       New front pads
.       Replaced all rubber brake hoses
.       The master Cylinder has very little deflection when the pedal is
depressed (could probable use the brace that I have read about)
.        Adjusted the rear shoes so drums drag slightly
.       Left the bleeder screws open overnight to gravity bleed.

Things that I have not done, replace rear wheel cylinders or shoes.

If anyone has any other advice I'm all ears.  I have reach the end for
ideas.  Maybe this is how they worked from the factory.

James & Susan Richards
jmr407@mindspring.com