Soft top frame restoration.

Subject: Soft top frame restoration.
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:07:37 +0930
Hi List,
I have just extracted the metal framework from the trashed soft top that
came with the car.
As is normal the front bow has a lot of what I hope is only surface rust and
a dinged RHS corner where we got too close to a tree maybe.
I think I can rebuild it OK, a little patching is required and one of the
captive nuts for the frame attachment has broken free.

The rear bar that hooks under the clips on the body is also pretty sad with
rust.
Has anyone used an aluminium bar at that location to avoid the problem of
rust??
I'm sure with a simple jig, an ally flat could be curved to the required
shape and no surface coating would be necessary.
Once sewn into the seam of the soft top it would be truly maintenance free.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner.
1972 PL510 2 door - VG30ET on Autogas.
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2004 specs.
HYPERLINK http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290669159
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290669159
Adelaide, South Australia.

---