RE: Clutch install question

To: <ed.sawyer@comcast.net>, <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Clutch install question
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 10:47:37 +0930
Subject: Clutch install question

Hi All,
I've got a big weekend planned of getting my roadster on the road and I have
a couple "just to double check" type questions. My tranny (4 speed) is
finally back from the shop (it's been 3 months of backordered parts and
runaround) but it's here and good as new. Sorry for the flurry of questions
but I'm anxious to do a good job on this.

 For installing the clutch:
I know I grease the Bearing sleeve well, but do I also grease up the raised
edge of the Release bearing that contacts the splines on the pressure plate?
Or would this risk getting grease on the Disc?

***
Don't overdo the application of Moly grease to the bearing sleeve, just
smear all surfaces and fill the reservoir section of the sleeve as best you
can.
The face of the release bearing is designed to take the punishment of clutch
operation, I wouldn't grease that area at all.
***

What about the front of the main shaft going into the Pilot bushing? and the
back end going into the sleeve Yolk? Extra grease or not?

***
Again a light smear is all that is required in the pilot/input shaft area.
The sleeve yolk will be fine with a smear of moly grease too.
***

Should I have any trouble lining up everything into the Pilot pushing so
that it's nice and centered. Any tricks, tips or BS?

***
Putting it all together on your front porch should be a breeze.
You will be able to manipulate the box far easier there than in the car for
example!
Just don't strain your self bending over and lifting the box to mate it to
the engine.
It should slip together like a ..well.. very easily.
***

How about a way to tell if everything is setup correctly before I dump it
back in the car?

***
You could probably attach a long lever to the clutch actuating lever and
operate the clutch that way to check for operation and release.
If you have used stock components and re-assembled the clutch correctly,
chances are all will be sweet.
***

A million thanks to all of you.

Ed Sawyer
68' 1600
http://ed.sawyer.home.comcast.net

Kind of Funny Story: I'm only about an hour south of Mt. St. Helens when she
had her little hiccup this afternoon and the radio said there was a chance
we could see some ash rolling through. My engine being on the front porch
and not completly plumbed I ran home and used a whole roll of Saran wrap to
make sure no fine little particles would find there way into the internals.
Now I have a little blue plastic wrapped cocoon on the front porch. 5 hours
later and the sky is clear and blue, better safe than sorry I guess. :-)

***
YIKES! as they say in your country!!
I saw the DVD on the big blow, awsome power.
Take care!!

---