Re: STARTER

To: "Richard Hugi" <richard@tntarch.com>
Subject: Re: STARTER
From: Eric Corwin <ecorwin@uchicago.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 10:48:47 -0500
Hi Richard,

I had this happen to me a few months ago.  On my car it turned out that
solder joint where positive comes from the ignition switch into the
starter solenoid had gone bad.  I de- and then re-soldered this and it
fixed the problem.  The service manual I have suggests turning the
lights on before trying to fire the starter.  If the lights dim then
the starter is drawing current but not operating (i.e. starter, not
solenoid gone wrong).  If the lights don't dim then no current is being
drawn and the solenoid is probably not working.  If it is just the
solenoid this can be removed (albeit with great discomfort) without
removing the starter/carbs/manifold/etc.

Another diagnostic check is to make sure that all the connections into
the starter solenoid are at the correct voltages when the key is turned.

Hope this helps and good luck,
Eric Corwin

'69 1600