RE: STARTER

To: "'Richard Hugi'" <richard@tntarch.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: STARTER
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 12:29:52 +0930
 Hi Richard,
You could try bridging the main battery cable connection at the starter to
the solenoid terminal.
This should energise the solenoid and thus kick the starter over.
It is exactly what the contacts in the ignition switch do when you turn the
key to START.
A fairly common problem here is either the Ignition switch contacts have
worn out (or gone high resistance) or the starter brushes have worn down to
a point where they no longer provide enough tension on the commutator to do
the job.
The solenoid has to earth out through the starter brushes and windings to do
its job.
A good modificaton to the switch is to wire in a START relay.
This means the piddly little contacts in the switch operate a low current
relay which then does all the hard work to operate the solenoid.
Unless you have had some wiring come loose at the starter, the above test
will show up where to look next.
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner.
1972 PL510 2 door - VG30ET on Autogas.
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2004 specs.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290669159
Adelaide, South Australia.