Re: Low Windshield

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Low Windshield
From: "lonestar" <lonestar@cmc.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:55:46 -0700
Slowboy --

I find your questions timely, as I am trying to get my windshield
installed. Given my investment in glass, weatherstripping and chrome,
I don't want to screw this up.

> 1. First, is there anything I should know about putting a low
> windshield and frame together? Or the things I should not do when
> putting it together?

Stan offered the following warning (emphasized in red):

"Make sure that there are no gaps between the side pieces and the
body where the bolts go in. If for some reason there is a gap or gaps
it is likely that the windshield can crack at the lower corners when
the bolts are tightened. The crack can occur at a later date. The
sheet metal can be moved outward with a block and hammer or spacer
washers can be installed. Be careful when tightening the nuts and
bolts so that stresses are not put on the windshield or frame. Don't
support the glass by the ends just lay it on the curved out side on a
pad when installing in the frame."

I assembled my frame sans glass to check the fit and discovered I did
indeed have gaps. They didn't appear to be too bad until I started
tightening the bolts/nuts. The frame flexed horribly at the
top/center. I have removed the frame and am working the sheet metal
mounting flanges (body) outward using the wooden block and hammer
approach. It's slow going but I think it's a better idea than using
washers.

> 2. Referring to the two sides of the frame: there are what look like
> rivets holding another piece of metal to the frame sides. This is
> where the weatherstrip attaches. I need to replace that piece of
> metal. What I don't know is where to get those rivets (if that is what
> they are) or a viable substitute.

When I had my frame rechromed, they had to remove the two outside
strips, so I need to replace those rivets as well. I don't have a
solution yet; I'm hoping someone on the list does. I do have another
issue, though, and that is I've not seen my frame fully assembled
before (a long story). So I don't know how the metal strips and
weatherstripping should look after final assembly. I could sure use a
picture or two to follow. Anyone have a '67 and a camera?

Sorry this is so long.

-- lonestar