Re: Ash tray Paint or Plate

To: "'datsun-roadsters'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ash tray Paint or Plate
From: "Tom Duffy" <tomuo@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 21:56:32 -0700
The curved piece can be removed from the center console by bending
a few tabs. I did this and sprayed with a generic silver car spray and
got a good result.
The sliding ash tray cover comes out as easily, but that looks like it
would need replating instead of spraying because of the tight fit.
The design has some fine lines that would be filled in by spraying,
so in my case I just left it at a good polish with a metal surface
cream/cleaner. The black knob screws off the slider too.

The ash tray itself I cleaned with a dremel using wire wheel
and metal polishing bits. Years of baked in nicotine were released
in the process, and the stainless steel came out as well as could
be expected.
I used the dremel on the cigar lighter casing as well, but left the
lighter untouched.

The toggle latch part of the center console's lock usually gets
broken off. One of the vendors has a replacement for just this
part. Not too difficult to repair the lock, but don't forget to
lubricate locks with graphite not oil.

One other problem I had with my center console was a bad
earth connection from the metal casing in the console to the
chassis. This is how the map light gets its connection so
needs to be working.

This is from when I did my first bout of interior cleaning about
3 years back, so my memory may be failing a little.

Tom
'68 1600
Sunnyvale CA