Alternative fuels for Roadsters.

To: <Geegc@aol.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alternative fuels for Roadsters.
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 16:23:11 +0930
Hi Gary C.
in Oz there are alternative fuels such as Liquified Petroleum Gas (LPG) and
Autogas (a similar brew) which is used by 100% of our Taxis (cabs) and a
variety of private/commercial vehicles.
Holden Motor Company (used to be a subsidiary of your GM Group) market a
Duel Fuel 3.8L V6 Commodore as a factory item.
Some of our buses in Adelaide run on Natural Gas, but they are only
trialling that at the moment.
LPG/Autogas needs a storage tank, a convertor to change the liquid to a gas
and a mixer.
The mixer can be a throttle body type of device or a carburettor type of
device.
Fuel injection is not necessarily a pre-requisite.
I think you could kiss goodbye to your boot (trunk) space if you went to LPG
:(
Emissions wise, it is far easier to get a performance engine passed at our
inspections on LPG/AG than conventional ULP.
Regards,
G.S.

Roadster content -- there is a new push in CA to get old clunkers of the
street, i.e. 1960s cars like ours.  This is an attempt to clean the air here
in
LA.  Has anyone ever considered a natural gas Datsun roadster?  Do you need
fuel
Injection to run natural gas, or will carburetors work?

Gary C
red red black

---