RE: Colortune protocol?

To: tayloran@mail.med.upenn.edu, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Colortune protocol?
From: "James Cawrse" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 13:45:20 -0400
I borrowed a color tune from the MG guy down the street and my report on it
ignited
quite a thread of conversation that might be in the archives somewhere.

Basicly, the list did not recommend tuning the carbs to the color tune,
because the engine
is not under load, so the "blue flame/yellow flame" values will not be the
same.  I suppose if
you have a really acrobatic friend, you could remove the hood, and drive the
car while an assistant
crawled over the windshield and peered  into the engine room.....

What I found it valuable for is to make sure both carbs are tuned the same,
ie all four flames
behave the same thru the rev range.  If you had a valve that was starting to
burn, the color tune
could help find this problem also.  With the SUs, unless recently rebuilt by
ZZ Therapy or some
one else good, are such that the same turns of the big mixture nut does not
always mean
the same mixture......

If you dont have an air pump, you can see the pollution that the air pump
attempts to control
on decel, because there is a burst of sooty yellow flame when you shut the
throttle, before the
pistons and needles can react to the new throttle position.

Good Luck, and have fun!
Jim C.
Chesapeake Va.
67 pushrod 2L 5spd

>From: "Andrew G. Taylor" <tayloran@mail.med.upenn.edu>
>To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
>Subject: Colortune protocol?
>Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 10:50:26 -0400
>
>Hello all,
>
>Time to get the roadster out, now that it's pretty HOT here on the east
>coast and I have a free weekend.  I'm looking forward to using my
>colourtune kit that I bought over the winter.
>
>I have the info that came with the kit, but does anyone have a good
>step-by-step procedure or set of tricks that I should know about when I
>attempt to tune my 2000 with SU's?  Anything I want to be careful of?
>I'm pretty new to tuning in general, so any suggestions or help are
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks a lot,
>
>Andrew
>1970 2000