Re: Z tranny

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Z tranny
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 06:30:49 -0500
Dan,

I'm not sure the Z 5-speeds are all that plentiful, especially ones in
really good shape that don't need to be rebuilt themselves. There are a
couple of spreadsheets floating around that list all of the 4 and 5-speed
trannies. Between the Z, ZX, and the L and Z powered trucks there are a
fairly wide variety of ratios, but they all seem to to be disappearing
fairly quickly and rebuilding them isn't cheap these days, either.

I keep an eye out for older "donor" Datsuns in the rural wrecking yards here
in central Texas. Many if not most JYs in the metro areas crush anything
older than a few years these days. I will occasionally see an older truck or
Z in some of the small towns around here though.

Maybe it's the auto equivalent of dumpster diving?  ;>)

FWIW,
Ron