Re: Japanese taxes and junked cars

To: "Alex Avery" <aavery@rica.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Japanese taxes and junked cars
From: <limprod@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 21:27:46 -0700
Thanks for the correction.  I meant to post a follow up when I
found out about the tax.  Upon investigation I found out my
question was answered by a dry humored remark. 3 year old (30,000
mile/50km) tune ups for low to mid cars are expensive by our
standards.  I guess the joke was "when your car needs a major
tune up you buy another car".  Now, it (tax) makes more sense =)

Here in LA they have been fudging around the idea of building
roads on top of river and creeks for decades. In the US however,
Eminent Domain is strong.

Our business was displaced by the Staples Center and made into a
parking lot.  The appraisers valued our 8500 sq ft building at a
whopping $210k.  Funny that 2 blocks down a similar 6000 sq ft
building sold just short of $1M just months prior.  We asked the
Redevelopement Agency to find us another building that was
identical for their appraised value.   Never heard from them
again.  Go fig.   I hear similar stories from house owners
located on soon to be freeway lane additions.   Our impeccability
continues..  The US is historically the best land that was ever
stolen.  Just call me Injun Joe.

One thing I should (not) be grateful for here in LA, as opposed
to Japan, we have an abundant amount of parking space here.  We
call them (interstate) Highways and it's free from 6am to 11am
and 3pm to 8pm.