RE:

To: Roadster Listgroup <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE:
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 22:08:52 -0600
Sun, 2 May 2004, Carl Flippin <carlf@perite.org> asked:
 >   I'm new to this list but I have a question. My sister is very
 > interested in getting a Datsun 2000 and I'm wondering:
 >
 >Do any of you use a 2000 as a daily driver?

Yep, I do.

 >How appropriate is it as a daily driver?

Totally, insanely, inappropriate. But on nice sunny, 75 degree top-down
days like today, I don't care!! :)

 > If any of you use your 2000 in that way, what is the average yearly
 > upkeep for a 2000 if it is bought in good condition to begin with?

   Well, I have had years that were like any other Datsun/Nissan I've
owned -- just tune up and oil change! IF it is in 'good condition'.
HA Ha ha ha ha!! :)

  FIRST, I bet my $.02 opinions below would actually apply to ANY 35 year
old car:

   'In good condition' is a loaded subject IMO. If you could truly
FIND one in truly good condition, it probably wouldn't be that bad. But
most of the problems I've had with my car are attributed to idiot P.O.
(Previous Owner) 'fixes'. After 35 yrs, who knows what you're really
getting?
  I've put about 85,000 miles on mine in the 7 years I've owned it. I've
spent more money that I intended to :) , but the smile-per-mile factor
has gotten the best of me. Maybe if you get a $20,000 restoration from a
renowned Datsun wizard, you'll do well on annual maintenance costs, but
otherwise... count on maintenance. Keep in mind you are not going to pay
econo-car prices for parts either, although it looks to me like an early
'70's 911 still beats a 2000 for parts costs.
  Something to consider: I've always had a backup car. Waiting for mail-
order parts alone (which is how you'll get parts more often than not,
unless you're across the street from one of our vendors), you'll see 3-5
days downtime. It can be a daily driver, but I HIGHLY recommend a backup!

dan neff     '69 2000
colorado springs,  co
http://www.wycroc.org