RE: rear-end swap

To: stebharvey@ameritech.net
Subject: RE: rear-end swap
From: "James Cawrse" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:41:01 -0400
You can do it either way.  Its a pain in the rear(ha ha, get it) to take
apart
the rear end and swap gear sets, so I would swap the whole axle.  The
2000 axle will have the track bar on the passanger side, so if you weld the
bracket on the 1600 frame, you can put the track bar on the 1600
and control some of the wheel hop during burnout activity.  You will not
be able to tell much difference from the 3.89 of the 1600 to the 3.70
of the 2000, but the 3.89 of the 1600 would give you a little better
acceleration, and also throw off the speedo a little bit, unless you
change the little plastic speedo drive gear in the 5 spd.

Bottom line, I recommend just swapping the whole axle.  Weld in and hook
up the track bar some day if you want to.  Get back on the road and have
fun.

Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake, Virginia