Re: embittered anti-freeze

To: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: embittered anti-freeze
From: "Pete Koernig" <pkoernig@cableaz.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:33:37 -0700
There are now a number of "antifreeze" mixtures out in the market place.  GM,
Ford and Chrysler all have their version of a 5 year plus, 100-150K mile
chemical solution.    Pretty much they work as advertised,   if they are kept
in pristine condition -- no American type ethylene glycol added or the mixture
contaminated with non distilled water.  These are 'organic' antifreeze
chemicals that originated in Europe and are market as 'environmentally
friendly' (spotted owls won't drink them).

Texaco and GM (Dexcool), followed by Caterpillar were the original purveyors
of these antifreezes in the US. There is a significant problem with them --
they are pretty high in chemically bound silicon  and if the chemical balance
get screwed up the silicon drops out as a solid (sand) the effect is
sandblasting the water passages --- the heater core usually goes first !

I run antifreeze for two years, drop it flush and reload --- use the cheapest
'brand name' ethylene glycol I can find.  Works for me, had 240,000+ mile on a
Toyota before my daughter seized the engine (said that the temp needle was
only close to the red mark --for two months).

Pete Koernig

'70 1600 (# 29429) almost done
'69 2000  'lot of work left
This email scanned by Norton Antivirus.