OT: embittered anti-freeze

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: OT: embittered anti-freeze
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:58:54 +0000
For all:
I always check the freeze protection level of our cars around now, although
the coldest weather we get
is maybe 20 degrees.  Anyway, looked at our one fairly good newer car,
Susans PT cruiser, and it was
a bit low, but had wierd pink anti-freeze.  Nothing like it at advance auto
or auto zone (my two close parts stores).  So....based on the expansion tank
saying "caution use only this pink stuff in this engine" or words to that
effect, I stopped at the Chrysler dealer on the way home from work
yesterday.  $20.58 for a gallon of this magic juice, supposedly good for 5
years or 100,000 miles.  Holy cow!

But then I read the lable, and below the big MOPAR lablei it said
"EMBITTERED".   Well, at least they
got that right, because I was quite embittered for paying that much.

Just wondered if anyone on the list knew just what chemical process caused
anti-freeze to be labeled
"embittered".....or if all you had to do was charge 4X more than the normal
green stuff for it.

Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake Virginia

67 pushrod 2L 5spd (green stuff mix, good to minus 10, also equpped with
"water wetter")
72 510 sportwagon (dry, no engine, "in progress")
88 Jeep Commanche (green stuff mix, good to minus 20)
94 Dodge Grand Caravan (green stuff mix, just changed, good to minus 20)
02 PT Cruiser (wierd pink stuff, not measured yet, level was too low to
reach tester)

Gift-shop online from the comfort of home at MSN Shopping!  No crowds, free
parking.  http://shopping.msn.com