Re: piston grade

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: piston grade
From: "Andy Cost" <andycost@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 06:37:28 -0600
I sold a set of grade 3 pistons to a fellow that is having his block
re-sleeved to match them.  The PO had bored it way over and put in a Ford
piston of some sort.  I measured the Ford piston at 92mm!  The piston poped
up over the deck so they had machined the top of the piston off.  There was
probably 1mm or less between the top ring and the top of the piston.  The
ring jumped out and bad things happened.  I suspect that since the top ring
was so close to the top of the bore it got into the chamfered area cut away
for valve clearance.  He found a machine shop that said they would re-sleeve
really cheap.  We'll see how well they do.

Andy