Re: OT changing valve seals

To: Daniel Neuman <neuman@RadOnc17.UCSF.Edu>
Subject: Re: OT changing valve seals
From: "datsun parts.com" <datsunpartsdotcom@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 19:33:44 -0800 (PST)
Dan,

    Nissan comp sold a tool years ago that was made by someone else, forget who
made it , that I saw in their catalog and purchased. They may still even sell
it.  It is specifically made for this purpose.
    It allows you to remove the Rocker Arms and then compress the retainer and
spring so you can remove the collets and get to the valve stem seal. Two
pivoting jaws load against the Cam while a another part of the tool , which
clears the rocker arm,  pushes down the retainer. It works great!   Be sure to
remove all of the rocker arms first. You have to make sure that when you
compress the retainer and spring  you have enough air pressure present in the
bore so the valve does not want to drop below the seat and bleed air.  You are
welcome to borrow mine if you can use it and return it in a timely manner. Dean
Daniel Neuman <neuman@RadOnc17.UCSF.Edu> wrote:
Hello All,
I am wondering about the feasibility of changing the valve seals on
my car myself? Want to do the 'use compressed air to keep the valves from
falling' method. I know I need an sparkplug adaptor to pressurize the bore,
a spring compressor,.. and what else? Is this something that is reasonable
to do in your driveway? I have very vague recollections of using a spring
compressor in auto shop in high school but that was at least 3-4months ago
and the memory is pretty dim
Thanks,
Daniel Neuman
Oakland CA