Roadster in the Philippines needs help. Steering Box Type and

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Roadster in the Philippines needs help. Steering Box Type and
From: Gabriel LaO <gabe_lao@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 18:56:47 -0800 (PST)
Hello All,

My father and I are in the process of restoring our 1967 Fairlady in the
Philippines.  We have just finished working on the engine (rebuild, balanced,
etc.) and are moving on to the next stages. So far everything has been moving
along smoothly... until today.

Currently, he is working on the steering and suspension section of the car.
Due to the lack of available parts in the Philippines,  he has asked me to
purchase some parts for him from here (USA).  He sent me the names of the parts
and some pictures.  I was able to find most of the parts through the different
vendors on the web. However, there are some parts that I am having problems
finding and I think it is because of difference in name.

First, he needs a new Worm gear and bearings.  Some sites mention that there
are two types of steering boxes, Type "A" and "B".  After careful scrutiny of
the steering box, we could not tell whether it is a type A or B. What we found
on it were numbers engraved into the steering box. Maybe these numbers can
help. On one side there was a round symbol beside a 2. Then on the other side,
the numbers 0400, and on another side D230. Re the size of bearing, the
engraved notation was NSK BT 18-2. Do these numbers and letters mean anything?
Can anyone tell what type of box this is from the information I provided?

Next, the Pitman Arm is in good condition.  According to my father, what needs
to be replaced is the part found at the end of the arm that is color silver and
is shaped like a bullet.  Does anyone know what this is called (rollerball???),
and does anyone know if it can be purchased alone or you will need to purchase
the entire Pitman Arm.

I really appreciate any help you guys could give me.  We are trying to get the
car up and running as soon as we can so that there will be a total of two
running roadsters in the whole Philippines.

Thanks for all your help,

Gabe and Gabby laO'