Transmission/speedo questions

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Transmission/speedo questions
From: "Ken & Tammy" <wilhouse@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 18:03:08 -0500
Hello listers,  it has been a beautiful day in southern WI, so I spent part of
it rolling around under the roadster.  I bought my '67 last fall and have
spent very little time doing anything but driving it this summer.  I should
also mention that I am a complete novice when it comes to auto mechanics.
Since I bought it, the speedo has never worked, and the trans grinds if I
shift too quickly from first to second.  I removed the speedo cable and it
spins freely, and the speedo registers when I spin the cable with a drill.  (I
was surprised to find that the drill must spin in "reverse" to register
forward speed.  I guess that is normal??)

>From what little I know, mechanically speaking, it sounds like the synchros
are damaged and the trans will need to be repaired.  That also means the motor
has to be removed, right?  Am I risking further catastrophic damage by driving
the car?  Is there a "simple" repair to get the speedo working, or will that
need to be addressed while the trans is opened for surgery?

Thanks again for all the help,
Ken
Blue '67 1600