Steering Gear

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Gear
From: Scott Haynes <sh92@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:43:34 -0400
I took the Datsun out for the first long drive yesterday. Drove from West Palm
Beach to Ft. Lauderdale and back. Roughly 100mi roundtrip. Engine performed
flawlessly. Even with multiple slowdowns due to rush hour and rubberneckers on
the way back, she ran great.
The steering however is a bit sloppy. Too much play in the steering gear. I'm
pretty sure mine is the worm gear type based on the fact that the cap has a
step on it instead of a round, flat cap. (69 2000)
My plan is to remove the small plate on the front of the steering gear and try
removing a shim or two. Seems worth a try before shelling out big bucks for a
rebuilt gear.
Any thoughts from the list? Anything I need to watch out for?
Couldn't find any slop in the rest of the steering linkage. Only a slight
resistance in the right front wheel when moving it back or forth from its
centered position.  I think this is due to a bad spot on the A-arm
bushing/bearing. I'll have to deal with that issue later.
-Scott Haynes
WPB, FL