Sideways action....angry man...angry me....

To: <datsunsp311@hotmail.com>
Subject: Sideways action....angry man...angry me....
From: "Jon and Maggie" <jm.rider@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:43:03 -0700
Matt,
To be honest, the last time I came across someone who I perceived to be out of
control in front of my house - he and his friend ended up sliding all the way
up onto the sidewalk in front of my house (roughly 20 ft) before they were
able to get the vehicle under control and stop - I ended up having a
discussion with the local sheriff later that day.  Seems these two boys didn't
like my reaction and wanted to press assault charges against me.  I never
actually got physical but I clearly had to constrain myself - I got darn
close.   However, when the Sheriff explained that they would also be ticketed
for negligent driving and for driving a vehicle that had not been properly lit
(seems they had a few lights that did not function), they chose not to further
pursue that course of action.  The Officer who called on me seemed to be
pretty sympathetic to my concerns - this same sidewalk was where my 2 young
kids often played hopscotch, pitched baseball, played catch, rode bikes,
hockey, etc.  Their 'joy ride' could have easily resulted in the deaths of my
two kids if the circumstances had been slightly different.

I know that we all enjoy roadstering and I am the first to admit that I am no
saint but I also respect the concerns of those who object - they probably have
reasons that I am unaware of.  I also attempt to drive responsively in rural
areas - kids will do that to you.

I know nothing about the situation you were in and am not trying to judge you
- I'm just providing a pausible explanation for the 'other side'.

Sincerely,
Jon