TDROC Spring Fling

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: TDROC Spring Fling
From: "Donna and Terry Cost" <tcost@hot.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 00:57:51 -0600
Hello fellow roadsterites,

I haven't written to the list in a while, and thought this would be a good
time.  We had a ferocious snowstorm here in Central Texas last week.  Flakes
were falling like crazy and we got almost 0.01 inches of precipitation
before it melted.  That was in the morning.  When the temperature reached 65
degrees that afternoon and the sun came out we made mud-ball-men (sort of
like snowmen but with black dirt).  With temperatures in the mid thirties in
the mornings I've had to wear long sleeved shirts, but change to hawaiian
shirts for the afternoons.

The main reason for this posting is to tell you about the next TDROC meet.
Sometime close to the 21st of March  the North Texas branch of the TDROC
will be meeting somewhere around Plano and driving to Eisenhower State Park
on Lake Texoma for our Spring Fling.  We'll eat there and drive home the
same day.  I'm looking at the 29th of March, but am flexible.  The TDROC
website www.tdroc.com will have more details later, and of course I'll have
another post here before we go.

We are going to have a mini-meet at Decatur, Texas on February 22 and a
do-it-yourself drive to Mineral Wells on the 23rd.  Andy and I will be
autocrossing at the Mineral Wells Airpark on the 23rd and you can come any
time between 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM to see us run.  On the 22nd we will be in
or around the Metal Rehab booth at Decatur.  Metal Rehab sponsors Andy's
autocross roadster.  They have a propriatery chemical treatment that cleans
and derusts metal and prevents new rust formation.  It's pretty good stuff.
Come by the booth and visit.

I read about removing valve springs.  My method is to take a socket bigger
than the valve retainer but smaller than the spring, place it on the spring,
then tap the socket with a hammer.  The little half-conical keepers separate
from the valve stem and are retained inside the socket, and the spring pops
off the valve.  I hold onto the socket tightly to make sure it doesn't
accidentally fall to the garage floor and lose the keepers.  If the valve
accidentally falls into the head because you forgot to fill the combustion
chamber with rope or something solid and removeable (not bb's - don't ask)
you can always get a screwdriver and pry the valve back into place through
the spark plug hole.  To reinstall the spring and retainer I just push them
on with my fingers and while holding the spring tight I place the keepers in
the groove in the valve.  !!!DISCLAIMER!!!  If you actually try this, you
will probably damage yourself and your engine beyond repair. Use the proper
tools and the proper methods.  Read the instructions on the box.
!!!DISCLAIMER!!!

See you on the 22nd.

Leisure Suit Terry