Re: Instrument panel bulbs

To: Allen Blackmon <orangedawg@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Instrument panel bulbs
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 20:04:49 -0700
Allen,

I was hoping someone had your answer without me going out to the box that has
all of the small to medium sized parts I removed from my parts car dash.  I
just came back from the garage with 4 of these bulbs.

There is no real bulb such as 53 or 57 on them.  Instead all 4 bulbs are marked
as 12V 3W, or 12 Volt, 3 Watt bulbs.  Most of them have very thin glass bulbs,
basically in line with the metal base. Another has a round bulb, but carries
the same markings.

I also checked the Fuse and bulb kit for Datsun that came with my car.  It has
several bulbs and fuses for the car mounted in styrofoam and held in place by a
clear plastic sleeve.  It is in very fragile condition, but I opened it up to
see what might be in there.  Sorry, only running lights and the original fuses
with paper strips with the fuse rating inside of the glass.

You will have to take the 12V, 3W information and spend some time in your parts
store to locate a correct bulb.  With a little luck they will have the ratings
of the bulbs on the packaging.

Next I went to the Sylvania web page.  You can track down the lighting
requirements for almost any car there.  For the 69 SRL series the web page link
is:

http://www.sylvania.com/bin/carApp/carApp_ver2.pl?flag=model_quals&make=&make=Nissan&year=&year=1969&model=SPL311&x=42&y=11

The bulb they list for the instrument lighting is a 1445.

There are other years.  Take a look at www.sylvania.com and follow Automotive
Lighting.

Tom Hendricksen
69 2000